Roasted Veggie Curry
Check out this recipe for some weekday dinner inspiration!
By The Doc Who Cooks (@thedocwhocooks)
You can’t go wrong with a good curry. Especially one that’s homemade, using simple ingredients, full of colour and flavour. A lot of people fear making a curry, thinking it would be way too complicated to prepare from scratch. But this recipe is here to dispel that myth.
▪️ ▪️ ▪️
Lots of shop bought curry sauces contain a multitude of ingredients that you probably haven’t even heard of. Not to mention a substantial amount of sugar! This recipe contains no added sugar or colourings – the natural colours of the vegetables give it its vibrancy!
▪️ ▪️ ▪️
This recipe serves 2 but you can easily double up the quantities if you’re cooking for more than 2 people, or you want to freeze the leftovers for another day.
▪️ ▪️ ▪️
Of course, you can eat this dish by itself, but the curry goes well with some rice or grains. Great if you can prepare this yourself but if you’re strapped for time, there’s no reason why you can’t use a microwaveable version. You can also add some meat/fish if you want to boost the protein content.
- 1 large cast-iron pan/heavy-based saucepan, with lid
- 1 large baking tray, lined with baking paper
INGREDIENTS & COSTS:
- 1 aubergine, cut into 1cm thick slices (~70p per 1 aubergine)
- 1 courgette, cut into 1cm thick slices (~30p per 1 courgette, ~£1 for a pack of 3)
- 5 tbsp avocado oil (~22p, ~£2.20 per bottle at Lidl)
- 1 onion, finely chopped (~8p, ~75p/kg of onions)
- 1 garlic clove, minced (~3p, ~30p per bulb)
- 1 tsp garam masala (~4p, ~80p per 100g)
- 1 tsp turmeric (~4p, ~80p per 100g)
- ½ tsp ground coriander (~2p, ~80p per 100g)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (~4p, ~60p per 250ml bottle)
- black pepper (probably less than 1p!)
- 200ml chopped tomatoes (1/2 standard tin) (~20p, ~40p/tin)
- 200ml coconut milk (1/2 standard tin) (~50p, ~£1/tin)
- small handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped (~35p, ~70p per bunch)
- 1 packet of microwave rice/grains, to serve (~50p)
Total cost per portion: £1.51
Total cost to buy all ingredients whole: £9.88 (this would leave you with 2 courgettes, nearly a full bottle of avocado oil and lemon juice, nearly a full packet of 3 spices, half a bunch of coriander, half a tin of tomatoes and half a tin of coconut milk – all easily used up in other dishes over time saving costs in long run)
NUTRITION (approx. per portion, with rice):
- Kcal: <550
- Carbs: 55
- Fats: 27
- Protein: 13
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and lie the slices of aubergine and courgette flat on the baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tbsp oil, season with pepper and place in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1/2 tbsp oil in the large pan over a medium heat, then add the diced onion and garlic. Cook over a low heat for 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- After 10 minutes, add the spices and lemon juice, and mix well. Cook the paste for 2 minutes.
- Then, tip in the tomatoes and coconut milk, and bring the pan to a simmer. By now the roasted vegetables should be done.
- Add the vegetables to the pan, stir well and cover, leaving to simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, take the lid off and continue to simmer for a further 10 minutes, to allow the sauce to thicken.
- 2 minutes or so from the end of cooking, microwave your rice/grains.
- Stir in the chopped coriander, season again with pepper and serve!
Share this post!
SUBSCRIBE TO OUR MAILING LIST
Keep up to date with all of the latest information and news around food, nutrition and lifestyle.