Food as Medicine
Duration: 3 weeks, 4 hours
Explore the role of food in health. Apply nutrition science to guide you on using food as medicine for you and your family.
How can we use food as medicine?
This course introduces the concept of food as medicine. You will explore how food can be important both in preventative health and as an aid in the management of certain chronic diseases today, in the past and in the future. You will also learn about what’s in food that gives it the potential to improve our health and how to recognise which types of foods are essential for health and wellbeing, and how food can play an important role in treating/preventing disease.
What topics will you cover?
- History of food as medicine
- Food and its role in prevention and treatment
- Macronutrients, micronutrients, phytochemicals and antioxidants
- Nutrition complexities and controversies, and the importance of evidence
- Food and the gut
- Food and the brain
- Foods, fertility and pregnancy
- Food and weight
- Food and our genome
- Public health nutrition guidelines
(CPD must not be older than three years prior to the exam)