Nutrition and Wellbeing
Duration: 4 weeks
Gain skills to evaluate nutrition information and apply to your own diet
This course will help you understand the scientific basis of human nutrition, and current nutrition concepts and controversies.
Each week we look at a different theme:
• The makings of a ‘healthy diet’: Which components of your diet can promote wellbeing and reduce the risk of diseases?
• Why do we eat what we eat? What are the ‘drivers’ that influence our food choices?
• Food and disease: Can you really eat your way to health?
• Nutrition fads, myths and the plain truth: Are our genes to be blamed for our current nutritional habits?
What topics will you cover?
- Identify the principle constituents of food, along with foods and dietary patterns that meet current UK based dietary recommendations and are associated with reduced risk of common chronic diseases.
- Understand and evaluate nutrition information, advertising, and news in the media.
- Apply nutrition knowledge to personal food choices and dietary patterns
(CPD must not be older than three years prior to the exam)